Senior Lecturer in Veterinary Public Health
Director of Studies in Preclinical Medicine and Veterinary Medicine at Pembroke College, Cambridge.
Global Advisor for Health Assurance, Genus PIC.
Veterinary microbiology and zoonoses
Clinical management of pig health and disease
AW (Dan) Tucker is accepting applications for PhD students.
AW (Dan) Tucker is available for consultancy.
Subject groups/Research projects
Departments and Institutes
My research interests lie in the control of infectious diseases that threaten food chain security. These threats to food security include animal-to-human infections (zoonoses), over-reliance on antimicrobial drugs, reduced feed conversion efficiency, and compromised welfare. I try to combine my clinical interest in intensive pig production with multidisciplinary research that includes molecular and epidemiological approaches aiming towards better prevention and management of infectious disease. My current research is focused on application of new molecular technologies to entrenched endemic diseases of pigs. This includes whole genome sequencing studies of bacterial respiratory pathogens of pigs to identify new diagnostic and epidemiological tools (Streptococcus suis, Haemophilus parasuis, Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae, and Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae). We are using a functional genomics method, transposon directed insertion site sequencing (TraDIS), and ex vivo respiratory organ culture systems to identify genes in S. suis and H. parasuis worthy of future investigation as vaccine candidates.
Through a Junior / Senior Clinical Training Scholarship Program (funded by Pfizer Animal Health) we also participate in a variety of applied clinical research projects involving representatives of the local pig industry.
- Duncan Maskell, Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Cambridge
- James Wood, Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Cambridge
- Paul Langford, Imperial College, London
- Andrew Rycroft, Royal Veterinary College, London
- Brendan Wren, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London
- Rui Zhou, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, China
- Vicky Aragon, CReSA, UAB Barcelona, Spain
- Susan Brockmeier, USDA ARS
- Crystal Loving, USDA ARS
- Tracy Nicholson, USDA ARS
- Jerry Wells, Wageningen University
- Zou G, Bello-Orti B, Aragon V, Tucker AW, Luo R, Ren P, Bi D, Zhou R, Jin H. The Cipher Code of Simple Sequence Repeats in "Vampire Pathogens". Sci Rep. 2015 Jul 28;5:12441. doi: 10.1038/srep12441.
- Eze JI, Correia-Gomes C, Borobia-Belsué J, Tucker AW, Sparrow D, Strachan DW, Gunn GJ. A Comparison of Respiratory Disease Prevalence among Voluntary Monitoring Systems for Pig Health and Welfare in the UK. PLoS One. 2015 May 28;10(5):e0128137. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0128137.
- Bossé JT, Li Y, Walker S, Atherton T, Fernandez Crespo R, Williamson SM, Rogers J, Chaudhuri RR, Weinert LA, Oshota O, Holden MT, Maskell DJ, Tucker AW, Wren BW, Rycroft AN, Langford PR; BRaDP1T Consortium. Identification of dfrA14 in two distinct plasmids conferring trimethoprim resistance in Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2015 May 8. pii: dkv121.
- WeinertLA, ChaudhuriRC, Wang J, Peters SE, Corander J, Jombart T, Baig A, Howell KJ, Vehkala M, Välimäki N, Harris D, Tran Thi Bich Chieu, Nguyen Van Vinh Chau, Campbell J, SchultszC, ParkhillJ, BentleyS, LangfordPR, RycroftAR, WrenBW, FarrarJ, BakerS, Ngo Thi Hoa, Holden MT*, Tucker AW*, MaskellDJ* and BRaDP1T Consortium. 2015. Genomic signatures of human and animal disease in the zoonotic pathogen Streptococcus suis. Nature Communications. Nat Commun. 2015 Mar 31;6:6740. doi: 10.1038/ncomms7740 (* equal senior authors)
- Howell KJ, Weinert LA, Chaudhuri RR, Luan SL, Peters SE, Corander J, Harris D, Angen Ø, Aragon V, Bensaid A, Williamson SM, Parkhill J, Langford PR, Rycroft AN, Wren BW, Holden MT, Tucker AW, Maskell DJ. 2014. The use of genome wide association methods to investigate pathogenicity, population structure and serovar in Haemophilus parasuis. BMC Genomics. Dec 24;15(1):1179. (Equal senior author)
- Bello-Ortí B, Deslandes V, Tremblay YD, Labrie J, Howell KJ, Tucker AW, Maskell DJ, Aragon V, Jacques M. Biofilm formation by virulent and non-virulent strains of Haemophilus parasuis. Vet Res. 2014 Nov 27;45:104. doi: 10.1186/s13567-014-0104-9.
- Bossé JT, Soares-Bazzolli DM, Li Y, Wren BW, Tucker AW, Maskell DJ, Rycroft AN, Langford PR; BRaDP1T Consortium. 2014. The generation of successive unmarked mutations and chromosomal insertion of heterologous genes in Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae using natural transformation. PLoS One. Nov 19;9(11):e111252.
- Bossé JT, Li Y, Angen O, Weinert LA, Chaudhuri RR, Holden MT, Williamson SM, Maskell DJ, Tucker AW, Wren BW, Rycroft AN, Langford PR; on behalf of the BRaDP1T consortium. A multiplex PCR to unequivocally differentiate A. pleuropneumoniae serovars 1-3, 5-8, 10 and 12. J Clin Microbiol. 2014 Apr 23.
- Maglennon GA, Cook BS, Deeney AS, Bossé JT, Peters SE, Langford PR, Maskell DJ, Tucker AW, Wren BW, Rycroft AN, BRaDP1T consortium. Transposon mutagenesis in Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae using a novel mariner-based system for generating random mutations. Vet Res. 2013 Dec 21;44(1):124.
- Howell KJ, Weinert LA, Luan SL, Peters SE, Chaudhuri RR, Harris D, Angen O, Aragon V, Parkhill J, Langford PR, Rycroft AN, Wren BW, Tucker AW, Maskell DJ (joint senior authors), BRaDP1T consortium. Gene content and diversity of the loci encoding biosynthesis of capsular polysaccharides of the fifteen serovar reference strains of Haemophilus parasuis. J Bacteriol 2013 195, 4264-4273. (Equal senior author).
- Luan SL, Chaudhuri RR, Peters SE, Mayho M, Weinert LA, Crowther SA, Wang J, Langford PR, Rycroft A, Wren BW, Tucker AW, Maskell DJ, BRaDP1T consortium. Generation of a Tn5 transposon library in Haemophilus parasuis and analysis by transposon-directed insertion-site sequencing (TraDIS). Vet Microbiol. 2013 Oct 25;166(3-4):558-66
- Maglennon GA, Cook BS, Matthews D, Deeney AS, Bossé JT, Langford PR, Maskell DJ, Tucker AW, Wren BW, Rycroft AN; BRaDP1T consortium. Development of a self-replicating plasmid system for Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae. Vet Res 2013 44: 63.
- Williamson SM, Bidewell CA, Tucker AW, McCrone IS, Wood JL, Brons N, Habernoll H, Essen SC, Brown IH: Descriptive clinical and epidemiological characteristics of influenza A H1N1 2009 virus infections in pigs in England. Vet Rec 2012; 171(11): 271.
- Jäger HJ, McKinley TJ, Wood JLN, PearceGP, WilliamsonS, StrugnellB, Done S, HabernollH, Palzer A, Tucker AW. Factors associated with pleurisy in pigs: A case-control analysis of slaughter pig data for England and Wales. PLoS One 2012, 7(2):e29655.
- Pal N, Baker R, Schalk S, Scobie L, Tucker AW, Opriessnig T. Detection of porcine endogenous retrovirus (PERV) viremia in diseased versus healthy US pigs by qualitative and quantitative real-time RT-PCR. Transbound Emerg Dis. 2011 58(4):344-51.
- Lucianez A, Holmes MA, Tucker AW. Relationships between processing delay and microbial load on broiler neck skin samples. Journal of Food Protection. 2010; 73:26-31.
- Wilkinson JM, CA Sargent, L Galina Pantoja, AW Tucker. Gene expression profiling in the lungs of pigs with different susceptibilities to Glasser's Disease. BMC Genomics. 2010; 11:455-462.
- Donadeu M, Siebert K, Tucker AW. Eradication of enzootic pneumonia from a pig unit without partial depopulation using a method selected by calculating expected project value. The Pig Journal. 2010; 63: 5-9.
- Niesalla H., Dale A., Scholes S., Slater J., Maskell D., Tucker A. Critical assessment of an in vitro bovine respiratory organ culture system: a model of bovine herpesvirus-1 infection. Journal of Virological Methods. 2009; 158:123-129
- Nunes F, Murcia P, Tiley LS, Brown IH, Tucker AW,Maskell DJ and Wood JLN. An ex vivo swine tracheal organ culture for the study of influenza infection. Journal of Influenza and other respiratory viruses. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses. 2009; 4: 7-15.
- Clark DA, Fryer JF, Tucker AW, McArdle PD, Hughes AE, Emery VC, Griffiths PD. Porcine cytomegalovirus in pigs being bred for xenograft organs: progress towards control. Xenotransplantation 2003 Mar;10(2):142-8.
- Tucker AW, Belcher CE, et al. The production of transgenic pigs for potential use in clinical xenotransplantation: microbiological evaluation. Xenotransplantation 2002, 9, 191-202.
- Tucker AW, Belcher CE, et al. The production of transgenic pigs for potential use in clinical xenotransplantation: baseline clinical pathology and organ sizes. Xenotransplantation 2002, 9, 203-208.
- Tucker AW, Galbraith D, McEwan P, Onions D. Evaluation of porcine cytomegalovirus as a potential zoonotic agent in xenotransplantation. Transplant Proc. 1999 Feb-Mar;31(1-2):915.
- Cozzi E, Tucker AW, Langford GA, Pino-Chavez G, Wright L, O'Connell MJ, Young VJ, Lancaster R, McLaughlin M, Hunt K, Bordin MC, White DJ. Characterization of pigs transgenic for human decay-accelerating factor. Transplantation. 1997 Nov 27;64(10):1383-92.
- Carrington CA, Richards AC, van den Bogaerde J, Tucker AW, White DJ. Complement activation, its consequences, and blockade by gene transfer. World J Surg. 1997 Nov-Dec;21(9):907-12.