I graduated with a Bachelor degree in Veterinary Medicine from the National Autonomus University of Mexico in 1985. I was awarded a PhD degree from the University of Cambridge in 1991. I became head of the department of Pathology at the veterinary school in Mexico City from 2001 to 2006. I was appointed as senior lecturer in veterinary pathology, University of Cambridge in 2007 and in March 2014 as university pathologist at the same university. I was awarded Fellowship of the Royal College of Pathologists in 2014.
Continuing Professional Development
- European Society of Veterinary Oncology. “2011 Annual Congress”. Glasgow, UK. 24th – 26th March 2011.
- BSVP Educational Module 9. “Pathology of the Cardiovascular System”. Department of Veterinary Medicine, Cambridge. 16th and 17th June 2011.
- BSVP Educational Module 12. “Pathology of Blood and Bone Marrow”. Solihull, Birmingham, UK. 13th October 2012.
- Institute of Biomedical Science. “Biomarkers Discovery: Driving Technologies”. RCPath, London, UK. 28th February 2013.
- “31st Annual Meeting of the European Society of Veterinary Pathology and The European College of Veterinary Pathologists”. London, United Kingdom. 4th – 7th September 2013.
- Wellcome Trust. “Mouse Models of Disease: Using pathology techniques to enhance phenotyping outcomes”. Hinxton, Cambridge, UK. 5-7 February 2014.
- BSVP – Veterinary and Comparative Pathology Seminar Series 2014. “Liver Disease” Rossdales Equine Hospital & Diagnostic Centre. Cotton End Road, Exning, Newmarket, Suffolk, UK. 20th March 2014.
- University of Cambridge. Occupational Health and Safety Service. “Chemical Safety Course”. Cambridge, UK. 1 May 2014.
- BSVP Autumn Meeting. “Problematic Lesions in Histopathology”. Royal Veterinary College, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK. 4th October 2014.
- Institute of Biomedical Science. “The 2014 Pathology Congress”. London, UK. 2nd – 4th December 2014.
Subject groups/Research projects
Lecturer in Veterinary Pathology. Veterinary and Comparative Pathology. Involved in different research groups: Veterinary Oncology (diagnosis, pharmacological evaluation). Infectious Diseases (Toxoplasmosis, Taeniosis, Salmonellosis). Dermatopathology in domestic animals. Ichthiopatology and wild animal pathology.
- Peters, S. E., Paterson, G. K., Bandularatne, E. S., Northen, H. C., Pleasance, S., Willers, C., Wang, J., Foote, A.K., Constantino-Casas, F., Scase, T.J., Blacklaws, B.A., Brayant, C.E., Mastroeni, P., Charles, I.G. & Maskell, D. J. (2010). Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium trxA mutants are protective against virulent challenge and induce less inflammation than the live-attenuated vaccine strain SL3261. Infect Immun, 78(1), 326-336.
- Northen, H., Paterson, G. K., Constantino-Casas, F., Bryant, C. E., Clare, S., Mastroeni, P., Peters, S.E. & Maskell, D. J. (2010). Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium mutants completely lacking the F(0)F(1) ATPase are novel live attenuated vaccine strains. Vaccine, 28(4), 940-949.
- Constantino-Casas, F., Mayhew, D., Hoather, T. M., & Dobson, J. M. (2011). The Clinical Presentation and Histopathologic-Immunohistochemical Classification of Histiocytic Sarcomas in the Flat Coated Retriever. Veterinary Pathology, 48(3), 764-771.
- Belshaw, Z., Constantino-Casas, F., Brearley, M.J., Dunning, M.D., Holmes, M.A. 7 Dobson, J.M. (2011). COX-2 expression and outcome in canine nasal carcinomas treated with hypofractionated radiotherapy. Vet Comp Oncol, 9(2), 141-148.
- Bexfield, N. H., Andres-Abdo, C., Scase, T. J., Constantino-Casas, F., & Watson, P. J. (2011). Chronic hepatitis in the English springer spaniel: clinical presentation, histological description and outcome. Vet Rec, 169(16), 415.
- Hu, H. Z., Rusbridge, C., Constantino-Casas, F., & Jeffery, N. (2012). Histopathological investigation of syringomyelia in the Cavalier King Charles spaniel. J Comp Pathol, 146(2-3), 192-201.
- Hu, H. Z., Rusbridge, C., Constantino-Casas, F., & Jeffery, N. (2012). Distribution of substance P and calcitonin gene-related peptide in the spinal cord of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels affected by symptomatic syringomyelia. Res Vet Sci., 93: 318-320.
- Roland Rad, Alex Strong, Ignacio Varela, Lydia Kriegl, Mario F Fraga, Vincenzo Calvanese, Deter Saur, Stacey Price, Ultan McDermott, Stefan Eser, Fernando Constantin-Casas, Thomas Kirchner, Kosuke Yusa, Carolyn Grove, Barbara Seidler, Roland M Scmid. (2013). A genetic progression model of BrafV600E-induced intestinal tumourigenesis reveals targets for therapeutic intervention. Cancer-Cell, 24, 1-15, July 8.
ARR Furtado, F Constantino-Casas. (2013). Histopathology inflammation scoring and classification in 34 dogs with inflammatory nasal disease. Veterinary Record, July 20.