Reader in Veterinary Clinical Oncology
Subject groups/Research projects
Through clinical research Jane Dobson and the oncology group have focused on improving the diagnosis and treatment of many different canine and feline tumours, including radiotherapy for nasal and brain tumours, development of a topical method of photodynamic therapy for superficial squamous cell carcinoma in cats and various clinical trails of conventional and novel chemotherapeutic agents for canine lymphoma and mast cell tumours. Animal cancer patients provide an excellent model for therapeutic studies of novel agents, a particular area of interest is in strategies for prevention of metastasis. More basic research interests lie in the genetics underlying canine breed predispositions to cancer particularly soft tissue sarcomas. We have shown that flat-coated retrievers are prone to development of an aggressive histiocytic sarcoma and are investigating the molecular genetics of this disease in the breed.
Research on specific cancer types.
- Demetriou J.L., Brearley M., Constantino-Casas F., Addington C., Dobson J.M. Intentional marginal excision of canine limb soft tissue sarcomas followed by radiotherapy. Journal of Small Animal Practice, 53 (3): 174 – 181, 2012
- Belshaw Z, Constantio-Casas F, Brearley M, Dunning M , Holmes M and Dobson J. COX-2 expression and outcome in canine nasal carcinomas treated with hypofractionated radiotherapy. Veterinary and Comparative Oncology 9 ; 141 – 148, 2011
- Constantino-Casas F., Mayhew D., Hoather T.M. Dobson J.M. The presentation and classification of histiocytic sarcomas in the flat-coated retriever. Veterinary Pathology Vet Pathol May 2011 48: 764-771, first published on October 7, 2010 PubMed
- Taylor F., Murphy S.,Hoather T., Dobson J., Scase T.. TSLC1 Tumour Suppressor Gene Expression in Canine Mast Cell Tumours Veterinary and Comparative Oncology 8 (4) 263 – 272, 2010 PubMed
- Dobson, J., T. Hoather, T. J. McKinley and J. L. Wood (2009). Mortality in a cohort of flat-coated retrievers in the UK. Vet Comp Oncol 7(2): 115-21. [PubMed]
- Aguirre-Hernandez J., Milne B., Queen C, O’Brien PCM, Hoather T., Haughland S., Ferguson-Smith MA., Dobson JM Sargan DR. Disruption of chromosome 11 in canine fibrosarcomas highlights an unusual variability of CDKN2B in dogs. BMC Veterinary Research 2009 5: 27 doi:10.1186/1746-6148-5-27 PubMed
- Stell A.J., Dobson J.M., Scase T.J., Catchpole B Evaluation of variants of melanoma-associated antigen genes and mRNA transcripts in melanomas of dogs. American Journal of Veterinary Research 2009, 70 (12) : 1512 – 20. PubMed
- Dunning MD, Leather CA, Bexfield NJ, Dobson JM, Herrtage ME. Exogenous Insulin Requirements Following Hypofractionated Radiotherapy In Cats With Diabetes Mellitus and Acromegaly. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 23:243 – 249, 2009. PubMed
- Bexfield, N. H., A. J. Stell, R. N. Gear and J. M. Dobson (2008). Photodynamic therapy of superficial nasal planum squamous cell carcinomas in cats: 55 cases. J Vet Intern Med 22(6): 1385-9. [PubMed]