Alborada Professor of Equine and Farm Animal Science
Head of Department
James Wood is interested in taking PhD students.
James Wood is available for consultancy.
Departments and Institutes
My research interests centre on the dynamics processes found at the heart of every infectious disease, at scales from the cellular and sub-cellular through to the more traditionally studied epidemiological scales of the population and metapopulation. Wherever appropriate, mathematical modelling and more traditional epidemiological approaches are combined with detailed molecular studies of pathogen and host in a multidisciplinary framework. All studies of any infection must also consider the ecology of the host as well as of the infection itself and its pathogenesis.
I have particular interests in the epidemiological dynamics of various virus infections of humans and other animals, including influenza, African horse sickness, canine rabies and emergent lyssavirus and henipavirus infections and the methods needed to study them. Bovine tuberculosis poses interesting challenges at the interface of science and policy and is an important disease and challenge. Funded studies include the bovine tuberculosis control, emergence of zoonotic viruses, especially in Africa, transmission dynamics of mammalian influenza viruses and their variants through natural hosts and orbivirus dynamics. I co-supervise several students working on the dynamics of emergent viral infections in bats, in particular Eidolon helvum, in Ghana.
In addition to my research interests, I am also involved in the Cambridge-Africa programme, which focuses on building links between Cambridge and African Institutions and which aims to strengthen Africa's own capacity for a sustainable research (http://www.cambridge-africa.cam.ac.uk/).
- Prof Andrew Cunningham, Institute of Zoology
- Prof Colleen Webb, Colorado State University
- Professor Melissa Leach, STEPS Centre, IDS, University of Sussex
- Dr Julia Gog, Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, Cambridge
- Profs Prof Tony Fooks and Ian Brown, Animal Health Veterinary Laboratories Agency
- Dr Pablo Murcia, MRC - University of Glasgow, Centre for Virus Research
- Prof Bryan Grenfell, Princeton University
- Profs Paul Kellam, Gordon Dougan and Julian Parkhill, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
- Prof Yaa Ntiamoa-Baidu, University of Ghana
- Dr Richard Suu-Ire, Ghana Department of Wildlife and Veterinary Sevices
- Dr Richard Newton, Animal Health Trust
- Dr Simon Gubbins, Institute for Animal Health
- Murcia, P.R., Baillie, G.J., Stack, J., Jervis, C., Elton, D., Mumford, J.A., Daly, J., Kellam, P., Grenfell, B.T., Holmes, E.C. & Wood, J.L.N. (2013) Evolution of equine influenza virus in vaccinated horses. Journal of Virology epub
- Luis, A.D., Hayman, D.T.S., O’Shea, T.J., Cryan, P.M., Turmelle, A., Pulliam, J.R.C., Mills, J.M., Timonin, M., Willis, C., Cunningham, A.A. Fooks, A.R., Rupprecht, C., Wood, J.L.N. and Webb, C.T. (2013) A comparison of bats and rodents as reservoirs of zoonotic viruses: Are bats special? Proc Roy Soc B 280 (1756): 20122753
- Peel, A., Baker, K.S., Crameri, G., Barr, J.A., Hayman, D.T.S., Wright, E., Broder, C.C., Fernández-Loras, A., Fooks, A.R., Wang, L.F., Cunningham, A.A., Wood, J.L.N. (2012) Henipavirus Neutralising Antibodies in an Isolated Island Population of African Fruit Bats. PLoS ONE 7 e30346 [PubMed].
- Conlan, A.J.K., McKinley, T.J., Karolemeas, K., Brooks-Pollock, E., Goodchild, A., Mitchell, A., Birch, C., Clifton-Hadley, R.S. & Wood, J.L.N. (2012) Estimating the hidden burden of bovine tuberculosis in Great Britain. PLoS Comp Bio 8 (10), e1002730
- Hughes, J., Allen, R.C., Baguelin, M., Hampson, K., Baillie, G.J., Elton, D., Newton, J.R., Kellam, P., Grenfell, B.T., Wood, J.L.N., Holmes, E.C. & Murcia, P.R. (2012) Transmission of equine influenza virus during an outbreak is characterized by frequent mixed infections and loose transmission bottlenecks. PLoS Pathogens 8 (12), e1003081
- Baker K.S., Marsh, G., Todd, S., Crameri, G., Barr, .J, Kamins, A.O., Peel, A.C., Yu, M., Hayman., D.T.S., Nagjm, B., Mtove, G., Amos, B., Reyburn, H., Nyarko, E.O., Suu-Ire, R., Murcia, P.R., Cunningham, A.A., Wood, J.L.N., Wang, L.F. (2012) Novel, Potentially Zoonotic Paramyxoviruses from the African Straw-Colored Fruit Bat Eidolon helvum. Journal of Virology 87, 1348-1358
- Hayman D. T., Wang L. F., Barr J., Baker K. S., Suu-Ire R., Broder C. C., Cunningham A. A. and Wood J. L. 2011. Antibodies to henipavirus or henipa-like viruses in domestic pigs in Ghana, west Africa. PLoS One, 6: e25256. [PubMed].
- Karolemeas K., TJ M. C. K., Clifton-Hadley R. S., Goodchild A. V., Mitchell A., Johnston W. T., Conlan A. J., Donnelly C. A. and Wood J. L. 2011. Recurrence of bovine tuberculosis breakdowns in Great Britain: Risk factors and prediction. Prev Vet Med, 102: 22-9. [PubMed].
- McKinley T. J., Murcia P. R., Gog J. R., Varela M. and Wood J. L. 2011. A Bayesian approach to analyse genetic variation within RNA viral populations. PLoS Comput Biol, 7: e1002027. [PubMed].
- Murcia, P.R., Hughes, J., Battista, P. Lloyd, L. Baillie, G.J., Ramirez-Gonzalez, R.H., Ormond, D., Oliver, K., Elton, D., Mumford, J.A., Caccamo, M., Kellam, P., Grenfell, B.T., Holmes, E.C. & Wood, J.L.N. (2012) Evolution of an Eurasian avian-like influenza virus in naïve and vaccinated pigs. PLoS Pathogens 8(5): e1002730
- Mutreja A, Kim DW, Thomson NR, Connor TR, Lee JH, Kariuki S, Croucher NJ, Choi SY, Harris SR, Lebens M, Niyogi SK, Kim EJ, Ramamurthy T, Chun J, Wood JL, Clemens JD, Czerkinsky C, Nair GB, Holmgren J, Parkhill J, Dougan G. (2011). "Evidence for several waves of global transmission in the seventh cholera pandemic." Nature 477(7365):462-5. [PubMed]
- Murcia P. R., Baillie G. J., Daly J., Elton D., Jervis C., Mumford J. A., Newton R., Parrish C. R., Hoelzer K., Dougan G., Parkhill J., Lennard N., Ormond D., Moule S., Whitwham A., McCauley J. W., McKinley T. J., Holmes E. C., Grenfell B. T. and Wood J. L. 2010. Intra- and interhost evolutionary dynamics of equine influenza virus. J Virol, 84: 6943-54. [PubMed].
- Park, A. W., J. M. Daly, N. S. Lewis, D. J. Smith, J. L. Wood and B. T. Grenfell (2009). "Quantifying the impact of immune escape on transmission dynamics of influenza." Science 326(5953): 726-728. [PubMed]
- Baguelin, M., J. R. Newton, N. Demiris, J. Daly, J. A. Mumford and J. L. Wood (2009). "Control of equine influenza: scenario testing using a realistic metapopulation model of spread." J R Soc Interface. 7: 67-79. [PubMed]
- Grenfell, B.T., Pybus, O.G., Gog, J.R., Wood, J.L.N., Daly, J.M. Mumford, J.A. & Holmes, E.C. (2004) Unifying the epidemiological and evolutionary dynamics of pathogens. Science 303, 327-332 [PubMed]