skip to primary navigationskip to content

Student Support & Guidance

Student Support and Guidance - where to get assistance during your
clinical course

Tutorial Support Office
Katheryn Ayres and Rachel Worsley
We are on the ground floor corridor, near to Lecture Theatre 1. We can help  with
• EMS queries including EMS grants
• Your EMS record
• Lecture and rotation timetables
• Examinations
• Student funding and awards (current list always on Moodle at


Your Veterinary School Clinical Supervisor (VSCS)

Your Veterinary School Clinical Supervisor who is either the VSCS you were allocated at the start of 1st year, or in some cases, it will be a different member of staff when you start the 4th year. 
He or she will arrange a meeting with you during the first week of Michaelmas Term of your fourth year. This is to give general advice on the clinical course, the role of your VSCS in supporting your progress and an introduction to the EMS system. For the rest of the clinical course you must meet with your VSCS at least once each term during the last three weeks (a slot is timetabled). 
You can see them (by appointment) at other times as needed. They will assist you in organising your EMS and keep an eye on its balance and quality and will also discuss your academic progress. Your VSCS will send a report to your college each term on your progress in acquiring clinical and professional skills. If you fail an examination, you must see your VSCS as quickly as possible to discuss the difficulty. Your VSCS will be able to give advice and general assistance regarding EMS, examination, academic, pastoral and
other difficulties. If necessary he or she can refer you to other appropriate sources of help. In the unlikely event of serious pastoral difficulties, your VSCS may seek additional help on your behalf with your consent.
If you wish to discuss something with a member of staff who is not your VSCS, you can contact the Director of Teaching or a member of the Pastoral Support Team.

Director of Teaching

Professor Alun Williams

Professor Williams has overall responsibility for the clinical teaching programme and timetable. As Chair of the Final Vet MB Teaching Committee he is involved with all aspects of teaching and academic matters, particularly the development and general management of the course. He's happy to discuss issues related to teaching and can be contacted in his room opposite the Teaching Laboratory or by e-mail.

Pastoral Support Team
Dr Jackie Brearley,, Dr Nicky Holdstock, , Dr Murray Corke, , Professor Williams and Katheryn Ayres.

The role of the Pastoral Support Team in the Vet School is to provide a resource for any student who is experiencing difficulties. Individual members of the pastoral support team provide non-judgemental active listening to clinical veterinary students. In many cases, active listening helps to find a way through the difficulty, otherwise the pastoral support team may be able to signpost other resources or services that are available to help, such as College resources, the University Counselling Service or external organisations as appropriate.  Members of the Team work together with the students’ VSCS's, and their Colleges, to help the students.

This support is confidential, no information will be passed on without the permission of the person involved, unless life is at risk.


EMS Co-ordinator

Dr Penny Watson
You or your VSCS may need to consult Penny or Katheryn if there are problems with an EMS placement, if you're having difficulties finding placements or if you want authorisation to count a particularly unusual experience (e.g. some overseas, institutional or conservation placements) towards your minimum 26 week EMS requirement. A summary of EMS requirements can be found on the Department’s website at

Departmental Librarian
Mrs Lorraine Leonard
Lorraine Leonard helps and supports students in any library-related matters.

The library should hold most of the information that is required throughout your course. The essential reading texts will normally be stored in the Librarian's office for safe keeping, so access to those is limited to the Librarian's working hours.

IT Support

Rupert Prudom, Newton Normoyle, Graham Jarvis

The Computer Officers are responsible for the computers in the Dr Lee Computer Suite. They can also help with the many Computer Aided Learning (CAL) packages available on the departmental PWF server and other software teaching material.

Departmental Secretary
Ms Judith Drinkwater
Judith is the member of staff to contact for queries about the Regulations for the Final Vet MB, particularly if you need to intermit your course for any reason. However, in either of those cases your College would need to make a formal application on your behalf, so you would also need to see your college Tutor.

Estates/building management
Mr Paul Grainge
Ms Betty Rayner

 - James Hanslow/Adrian Ison

Any problems with the physical condition of the building, security or facilities
should be reported to Workshop staff or either Paul or Betty.

Stores Office
The Stores are in B Block (one of the radially arranged blocks behind the main building). You may need to visit them during your course to purchase essential equipment.

Accounts Office
The Accounts Office is in the main ground floor corridor next to the General Office. Normally you should pay Accounts in advance, before collecting any purchase from Stores, or to be asked for more print credit to be added to your account by one of the computer officers.

Non-Departmental sources of help

Your college

Don't forget that you are still a member of your College, with access to a Director of Studies and Tutor as well as the library and computer facilities there. Colleges are an important source of help in resolving financial difficulties, both from their own resources and as a route to various University funds. Some Colleges also employ their own counselors. In most Colleges you'll also be a member of the MCR, with access to its facilities too.

University based services
Remember too, that the University, CUSU and the Graduate Union offer a useful range of support services including:

Accommodation Service: ext 38099
Cambridge Expeditions Medical Scheme: ext 36597
Careers Service: ext 38283
Computing Service Help-desk: ext 34681
Counseling Service: ext 32865
Dental Service: ext 32860
Security control centre*: ext 101
* Emergency calls - if you encounter an incident out-of-hours and can't readily contact a member of Veterinary School staff. - written by vets and vet nurses, here you can find information and support spanning a range of common issues such as mental health, professional conduct, employment and debt.


Student's College


local place
of worship

Directors of




Counselling Service:
tel. (3) 32865 Email:

Professor Alun Williams,
Director of Veterinary
Department of Veterinary
Medicine, tel. (3) 37607

Director of Medicine in the School of Biological Sciences Education, Dr David Good  tel. (3)34534

Occupational Health Service,

16 Mill Lane, tel.(3)36 594 email:

9am – 5pm Monday to Friday by appointment

CUSU Welfare Officer
11/12 Trumpington Street

Managing Alcohol: University
Counselling Service

CUSU Eating Disorders
Support (EDS) tel. (7) 40555
(Mon & Wed, 8-10pm) Email:


General Practitioner: University
or Family NHS Direct
24hr Helpline: 0845 4647

National University
Counselling Services:

Samaritan Linkline
4 Emmanuel Road (all days: 9
am - 10.30 pm) tel. 364455 or
08457 90 90 90 (Day or night)
Text phone: 0845 790 9192

CRISP (Cambridge Racist
Incidents Support Project)
62-64 Victoria Road tel. 462615

Centre 33 Information &
Counselling Service, 33
Clarendon Street tel. 316488

Dashwood House, 185 East
Road, tel. 350599

Drinkline telephone helpline:
0800 917 8282
Alcohol Concern:
Don't Do Drunk:
Down Your Drink NHS online
alcohol reduction programme: